Friday, February 25, 2005

Courage - FF #1

I stood by the comic book rack in the liquor store near school looking for the latest X-Men issue. It must be here. It was Friday and the new issues are always here on Friday. There it is. I found it. The last copy. Why had they gone so fast this week? I wasn’t sure, but I didn’t care because I had found a copy.

I stood there flipping through the pages when I heard it. The sound of the bell over the door announcing that someone was coming into the store. I looked up and saw him, Logan Dingleberry. At least that is what I like to call him. Well, not out loud. He has picked on me since the third grade. Not today. I wasn't going to take it. Today was the day I was going to find the courage to stand up to Logan Dingleberry.

“What you reading, dork? He said as he walked toward me.

“X-Men,” you giant pile of dog excrement, I replied.

“Give me that.” he said as he snatched it from my hands. "That's what I came here for."

That was it. I couldn’t take it anymore. Three years of his crap was too much. He continued to talk, but I didn’t hear him. I was too busy searching for that illusive courage I needed to end this reign of terror. Suddenly, in that moment, I realized that the courage I yearned for, was nowhere to be found. Oh well, I guess the Dingleberry, wins again. Maybe there is a copy left at the 7-11 by my house.



I saw this over at bluemama's place and decided to try it. Creative writing has never been my forte, but this seemed like fun. Write a short story using the following parameters.

FLASH FICTION CHALLENGE #1:
The setting: A convenience store.
Length: 250 words or less.
In your story, you must include the following bit of text: nowhere to be found.

No comments: