Wednesday, March 16, 2005

A Summer's Day - FF #4 Again

I read a few others and noticed how similar the stories are. I think the theme is lending to similar stories. I decided to write one from a different point of view.

It is a beautiful summer day in this sleepy little American town. I am on my way to meet my family for lunch at the diner. All the kids on the street are all singing along with that new "Great Balls of Fire" song. Man I hate this new rock 'n' roll. The streets are extra busy today. I see my friend Jack walking toward me.

"Hey Jack, did you watch that game last night?"
"I sure did, man wasn’t that a great fourth quarter?"
"It sure was, gotto go. Meeting Jane and the kids for lunch."
"Alright, BBQ this weekend?"
"You bet, but for the sake of little Billy, no hot dogs this time. He was sick for a week."
"You got it."

My family and I have lived here for almost two years. Everything seems normal. You would never know that we are just a mere 30 miles outside Moscow. This is a KGB training ground. We live here just as Americans do. Preparing for the day we will be relocated to a real American town. That day is just around the corner. We have received word that we are moving to America in one month. They are relocating us to Moscow. Moscow, Idaho. The irony does not escape me. I hope we are ready. Ready to fulfill our promise and our duty to Mother Russia. I am sure we will be ready when the time comes.

For now, I am just ready for lunch.



This week's challenge:
1) If you do this week's challenge, be sure to let me know, please.
2) Also, link back to Diminished Fifth... if nothing else, he'll see
that people are following that link to his site, and will investigate.

Rules
1. Maximum length: 250 words.
2. The setting is: Moscow, USSR
3. The year is: 1958.
4. Within the story, you must use this text: for the sake.
If you prefer, you can set it in Moscow, Idaho.

No comments: